A bit about me....

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Public teaching versus Private teaching

I am just starting the research into whether I want to teach in the public school system or if I would prefer to teach at a Private institution. Of course there is going to be advantages and disadvantages to both. Probably the biggest deciding factor is going to be where we will be living by the time I am ready to teach. Not only that ,I have a little child who will be in school in the next 3-4 years and if I want him to be in a public or private school. I think it is a decision that is going to take me a while to make and I want to really do my research until I say either way. I want of course what is going to benefit my family the most and where I feel that I can be utilized to my best ability.
Now in the public system, the things that would lead me there is the need for good and caring teachers. Again the differences that I want to make I feel would probably have the biggest impact in the public system where I feel the children would need more love and attention more so than a private school in most circumstances. Also in a public system working for the State you have great benefits as far as health insurance and retirement packages. This is definitely something to look into. In my particular case being married I do have great insurance through my husbands company but could always benefit from the retirement packages as we our building our future nest egg.
As far as private schools go. My husband and I at this point would be interested in putting our son in a private school. Working at a private school I would be able to get him into a great school at a reduced price just for working for the institution itself. So that would definitely be a big plus for us if I were to go that route. I think as far as teaching goes the classes would be smaller and more intimate and that I would get to know my students better and have a better one on one relationship with them. I think also there would be a little more structure to the classrooms in a private school.
I will have to weigh all my options as I continue my education to becoming a teacher and see where it is going to take my family. I think there is a good and a bad side to both and the playing field is pretty level at this point. This is something that I want to continue to learn more about and report back as I attain more information into making my decision.

No comments: